Saturday, July 05, 2014

Happy belated, America!

Today is America's birthday, but we're not celebrating until tomorrow because an old counselor and director Hurricane Arthur came to visit us today. He lingered all afternoon and made a real mess of camp and the island, as usual.


Don't worry! We still managed to have a wonderful day and do a lot of parade prep indoors so we could be ready to march and sing and celebrate tomorrow!

Juan had a master class where he taught self defense to all of us and showed us just how easy it is to beat up counselors. 



There was also some Journey Dance, some frame painting, some Sister Act 2 watching, and other fun activities! Paul did some writing and the Ho girls helped out as counselors for Paul and Scott while their other counselors covered themselves in paint and glitter, as usual.



SPEAKING of counselors being busy and Scott being awesome, he wrote the rest of this blog post! Thank you, Scott!!

I've been coming to Jabberwocky for 14 years.  It never gets boring.  I like the activities, like art, and the 4th (or 5th) of July parade.  I like the flags and the smiles on the peoples faces as we walk through the parade route, but most of all, I'm happy to be here spending the summer with my second family.

The Fourth of July, and camp Jabberwocky, mean independence.  I feel free at camp.  I feel like I have no limitations around my disability.  Every year, more relationships are developed and strengthened.  The counselors help us to access camp, and really care about us.  Camp Jabberwocky is all about the love we have for each other that we hold in our hearts.  

We're excited for the parade tomorrow, and a working hard on floats, adding the finishing touches.

This has been Scott Scherer

Love,
Camp


No comments: